Mentored Internship Program (MIP)
What is an Internship?
An Internship is an opportunity to learn, in real time, about a field of knowledge. We invite you to learn about the fields of mental health and substance use treatments. We have opportunities for 10-14 week Mentored/Internships. This is your opportunity to earn while you learn.
Programs are in San Luis Obispo and Northern Santa Barbara Counties. LAGS Recovery Centers, Inc. is accepting internship applications in a range of roles in their behavioral health treatment center.
Each intern will be partnered with a mentor. Interns will begin by shadowing and learning from their mentor. Mentors include an SUD counselor, a Peer Recovery mentor, a Homeless Outreach Worker and a Medical Assistant. These mentor positions were chosen to give interns an broad opportunity to learn from working with clients who struggle with substance use issues, mental health issues, live housed or unhousedand also basic medical office experience. Interns will have the opportunity to work with clients who have co-occurring disorders and assist in the operations of counseling and case management.
Gain real world experience!
LAGS Recovery Centers, Inc. Mentored Internship Program is designed for undergraduate students and recent graduates wishing to gain work experience in behavioral health and human services in a healthcare setting. We welcome students who are enrolled or recent graduates. Selected participants will receive a stipend of $16/hour
Eligible Intern Criteria:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Demonstrated interest or curiosity to the field of Behavior Health, including but not limited to mental health, substance use treatments, homeless issues, health disparities, health education or basic health care.
- Strong interest in addressing the health needs of underserved communities
- Preferred human services or addiction studies-related coursework, but not required
- Ability to work 10-20 hours per week during internships for 10-14 consecutive weeks, depending on the cohert
- Professionalism and maturity sufficient to be successful in the internship
- Possess writing, computer, and other skills that can be applied to internship projects
- Possess language skills, cultural awareness relevant to potential internship placements
- Willingness to learn aboout and implement HIPPA compliance and the nedd for confidentiality in the internship environment
- Potential fit with expectations of internship placement at LAGS Recovery Centers, Inc.